Assumptions to Avoid
- This person ought to change
- This person wants to change
- This patient’s health is the prime motivating factor for him/her
- If he/she does not decide to change, the consultation has failed
- Patients are either motivated to change or not
- Now is the right time to consider change
- A tough approach is always best
- I’m the expert. He/she must follow my advice.
- A negotiation-based approach is best
1. Rollnick, S., Mason, P., Butler, C. Health Behavior Change: A Guide for Practitioners. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1999.